svn --switch weirdness

Carol Spears carol at gimp.org
Sun Oct 30 12:16:30 CET 2005

On Sat, Oct 29, 2005 at 06:56:39PM -0700, Auke Kok wrote:
> >i (guess) that i successfully made the switch from the old anon server
> >to the new one.  in the middle of my first "update" i started getting a
> >new module, xfc/
> >

> This suggests that you are checking out the *entire* xfce svn tree. Are
> you aware that this creates over 3.5gb of traffic (at least) and hardly
> useful unless you are a developer?

it is interesting that after a switch, a request to "update" would cause
a "checkout" instead.  it actually stopped and refused to update
xfce4-terminal.  it is my first time using svn.  just from the words i
typed i would have expected different behavior.  my apologies if it
caused any problem.  some of the behavior i expected was from what svn
help update said.  it was researched confusion.

> again, I think that you are trying to checkout the entire svn
> repository. This is different with CVS since *everything* is underneath
> the /svn/xfce, including ALL tags and branches ever made. Hardly
> usefull, you should really only checkout the /trunk/ parts.
>
> Also, doing an svn update on the ENTIRE svn trunk makes your local svn
> traverse the ENTIRE xfce repository, which is huge, like I stated before
> - and takes forever too, especially the first checkout/update.
>
> in short: don't do this!

a simple --switch and an update.  curious that it could cause such
problems.  i will look closer to find the difference between update and
checkout -- i really did only want to update the things i had already.

> if you want all the /trunk/ parts (only 200-300mb) then svn co the
> /svn/xfce/modules/trunk parts, or hand-select the trunks that you need.
> This will save considerable time and trouble for the both of us ;^)

svn really did not want to make the --switch when i put the same last
directories on the TO path that were on the FROM path.  the email about
how to do this made it sound to simple to screw up that much.

sorry
carol