Customize Panels dialog (Was: Re: panel item remove confirmation)

Don Christensen djc at cisco.com
Thu Oct 20 21:41:17 CEST 2005

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> 3.  Monitor: I like the visual style of the buttons, but if there are
> more than 4 monitors, the dialog starts to get ugly.  Though that's
> probably a minority case, and designing for the minority is relatively
> dumb.  Leaving this here in case you want to think about it for other
> reasons.

Is the monitor selection for use with Xinerama, non-Xinerama, or
both?  I have two monitors but don't use Xinerama, so I would like
to make sure everything is going to work properly with that setup.
I don't use Xinerama because I like to have independent control of
the workspaces on each monitor.

It would be really cool if you could lay out the monitor icons as
they are physically placed.  You would have to parse the X server
config (I assume there is a way to get that info from the server
programmatically without having to parse the actual config file).

> 4.  Panel names: This is a little useless, but maybe make it possible to
> name each panel?  I first thought about this when I went to remove a
> panel, and it said something like "Are you sure you want to remove panel
> '2'?"  I was like, "that sounds silly".  Some people might like to name
> one of their panels "taskbar" or something.  At least it'll make it more
> clear which is which, rather than just having to remember which one was
> created first, second, etc.  People with multiple monitors will probably
> appreciate this more.

If you want to take on a challenge, then put up a little image of
the monitor with all of the panels on that monitor with the panel
in question highlighted.  Also, put the monitor number on there.
That would prevent any confusion.

Just some thoughts, since everyone seems to be contributing their
two cents.

-Don

--
Don Christensen       Senior Software Development Engineer
djc at cisco.com         Cisco Systems, Santa Cruz, CA