Tray Icon Size (Cropping vs. Scaling)

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Thu Oct 20 11:52:18 CEST 2005

milosz derezynski schreef:
> Hey all,
>
> Now there is another thing, with the BMPx "systray" icon, i'd roughly
> desribe it like this:
>
> BMPx sets ICCCM tray icons with a size of 128x128. The only "panels"
> that provide "systrays" i've tested this with so far were KDE kicker
> systray and gnome-panel notification area.
>
> Now gnome-panel seems to scale the icons upwards if the provided icon is
> big enough to be scaled (say, panel size is changed to 48 height, and
> provided icon is 128x128, it will scale it, well, down, rather, not up,
> to 48x48), it will scale it. It will, however, not scale _up_ icons,
> e.g. GAIM, which provides i think either 24x24 or 32x32, no matter how
> big you make the panel, it will alway stay this size.
>
> KDE kicker systray again always keeps the tray applet arranged in a way
> so that the systray icons are always at 24x24 (or 32x32, don't know
> which size, but same size as the GAIM icon), but it also scales the BMPx
> icon down from 128x128 to whatever size the others are so it appears
> correct.
>
> XFCE-Panel however crops the icon; i haven't seen that yet, but one of
> our users reported this, so i'm not sure if it crops in center or from
> 0,0 coordinates, but in any case it does not scale it down, and the
> behaviour of the tray seems to be like KDE's ("no matter how big the
> panel, systray area stays at the same size").
>
> Now the question is, is there any spec on how ICCCM-notification area
> implementing applets/panels should handle the icons, or is that totally
> up to the implementor; or in  other words, _must_ i supply a 24x24 (or
> 32x32) icon, or is it in theory ok to supply bigger icons and scaling in
> XFCE-panel-tray-applet is just NYI.
>
> Please refer to official specs only with this, i've searched all on fd.o
> and couldn't find anything, but i don't want this to be an opinion thing
> :D Thanks.

Hmm, I would very much prefer scaling. If it's not in the spec it's
probably left to the implementor. We use basic a basic gtkplug/gtksocket
implementation and set the size of the gtk socket, but apparently there
are ways to actually act on the icon.

It would be nice if someone could look into this. I'll try to have a
look, but I don't know when I will have the time to do so.

	Jasper