Problem with BMPx

milosz derezynski internalerror at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 21:18:32 CEST 2005

Hi,

I'm the lead developer of BMPx.

Olivier wrote in his last mail to me personally:

>Simple, you specify some constraints and ask for a size that is not
>within that constraints. Xfwm will simply set the size within the
>constraints the application initially specified...
>
>Try this, remove this
>
>gtk_widget_set_size_request (window, BASE_X_INC * 10, BASE_Y_INC * 10)
>
>Or replace it with
>
>gtk_widget_set_size_request (window, BASE_X_INC + 3 * BASE_X_INC,
>BASE_Y_INC + 3 * BASE_Y_INC )
>
>And that *will* work.
>
>Again, I repeat it, the constraints work like this:
>
>width = base_width + (i × width_inc)
>height = base_height + (j × height_inc)
>
>That's the very simple definition of those fields...

I guess this here was a typo:

gtk_widget_set_size_request (window, BASE_X_INC + 3 * BASE_X_INC,
>BASE_Y_INC + 3 * BASE_Y_INC )

and he meant:

gtk_widget_set_size_request (window, BASE_WIDTH + 3 * BASE_X_INC,
BASE_HEIGHT + 3 * BASE_Y_INC )

But even _THAT_ shrinks the window, at least vertically, in the small
testcase app you can download from here:
http://rafb.net/paste/results/QyKtVw28.txt

This is confirmed with latest stable XFWM4/XFCE4 (4.2.2)

Try playing around with it. If the above line doesn't shrink (but it will),
then try this (Note 5 * BASE_Y_INC instead of 3 * BASE_Y_INC):

gtk_widget_set_size_request (window, BASE_WIDTH + 3 * BASE_X_INC,
BASE_HEIGHT + 5 * BASE_Y_INC )

Fun.

Regards,
Milosz