my first 12 hours with svn xfce4

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 02:38:55 CEST 2005

On 10/18/05, Carol Spears <carol at gimp.org> wrote:
> hello,
>
> after making an idiot of myself with libtool-bugs, i removed a lot of
> debians software and built xfce4 from glib on, everything except cairo i
> think is from cvs or svn and it is surprising how stable everything is!
>
> reviewing the user interface options really mangled my gimp toolbox, but
> that was easily fixed.
>
> Things about the panel:
> if i hadn't been reading the thread about the panel, i would have been
> very confused.  even with reading it, i created a new one and still it
> took some time to figure out how to get rid of the first weird one that
> installed itself.  (the svn xfce4 and kin seemed to try to use my old
> settings and it succeeded in many but not all ways)
>
> if i hadn't read about dnd in that thread, i would not have understood
> it.  i might be unusual this way, however because my first experience
> with gtk+-1.2 and dnd on the 486 was terrible, frightening and etched
> in my memory so strongly that it will take years and years of
> smooth/working/not-so-picky dnd to erase that experience.
>
> changing the panel properties via all menu's in the panel is not good.
> i am going to suggest an option to put it there if you are a developer
> though, as i can see how it is useful if you are doing more than using
> the panel.  personally, i like having choices like this to modify things
> if i am going to be more than an average user.
>
> on the otherhand, as a user, i have to be forced to see new things the
> developers are doing so i can see where making it easy to remove your
> panel can in the long run be helpful....
>
> right now, i am missing things in the panel.  the system tray.  the
> netload and cpu/memory and whatever else that one thing had.  heh, and
> my build of the toys failed and i decided to start the desk without them
> so i am missing the very silly eyes :)  date/time in the panel as well,
> but as i mentioned, it is still the first 12 hours of using it and i got
> some sleep within that time as well, so....

The SVN panel is a complete rewrite. Unfortunately the old panel
plugin interface actually made the panel less stable, so backwards
compat was broken. Not all the plugins have been ported yet.

> i miss the setup icon in the panel.  i was glad to see the setup palette
> still accessible via the menu.

And as yet there isn't a default set of plugins and launchers in the
panel. That's still up for discussion.

> the expander things on the panel, for when you have more than one
> launcher per button -- i do not like them only being available to the
> side of the button.  this world seemed to hit me with a lot of phalusies
> about what that says about me as a human being.  they are wrong, it was
> just nice to have a choice that expanded in a logical direction.  enough
> said about that.  the way it works now, i really do not want a
> Description of what will be launched there with the Name.
>
> Things about the Taskbar:
> now that the little push-me pull-me corner is gone, i seem to be
> thinking about removing it and using the iconbox the same way i had my
> fvwm2 configured to work.  if you could make little cartwheeling windows
> that seem to collapse into the icon box, that would be really really
> neat.
>
> All and all, it is really cool, this bleeding edge desktop environment i
> have here today.  thank you.
>
> carol

Erik

"If Beethoven had been killed in a plane crash at the age of 22, it
would have changed the history of music... and of aviation."