panel item remove confirmation

Alexander Toresson alexander.toresson at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 16:08:48 CEST 2005

On 10/17/05, Fabian Nowak <timystery at arcor.de> wrote:
> Am Montag, den 17.10.2005, 15:08 +0200 schrieb Moritz Heiber:
> > On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 10:21:46 +0200
> > Fabian Nowak <timystery at arcor.de> wrote:
> >
> > > the point is that you will also click on the ok button in this dialog
> > > if you accidentally clicked onto "remove panel", just because of
> > > being used to this dialog. this is what happened already several
> > > times to me and AFAIK jasper, too.
> > > having the dialog removed already prevented me two times from removing
> > > the panel accidentaly as the dialog comes unexpected and therefor i
> > > read it.
> >
> > Do you actually care to read anything then? Don't take me wrong here,
> > I know that certain popup dialogs are nerv-wrecking (especially if
> > you're working with Windows) but this case is different.
> >
> > Here, an "Are you sure?" dialog prevents you from a _total data loss_
> > which in both cases from my point of view should be avoided at all cost.
> >
> > And just because you're used to clicking on a dialog that presents you
> > with a significant and convenient message doesn't mean everybody else
> > is.
> >
> > Maybe _you_ should get used to _that_ ;-)
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Moritz
>
> i really wonder why now everybody has an opinion to this issue but did
> not have it two or three weeks ago.
>
> i think the topic is discussed enough, the "remove plugin" dialog should
> come back like in the first days.
>
> btw., do you know how to read text at one glance? it's very practic and
> normally enough for any situation to get the important content and also
> does its job with those remove dialogs in approximately half the
> cases ;)

I agree that the "remove plugin" dialog should come back. However, I
think there is need for a bit of dissimilarities between the "remove
plugin" and the "remove panel" dialog.

What about adding the picture of the panel found in the settings
manager to the "remove panel" dialog to make it stand out? Maybe even
add a red cross on the panel image. And what about making the text in
the "remove panel" dialog lengthier than the text in the "remove
plugin" dialog? Add something like "This will remove all plugins
together with the panel.".

Disclaimer: I ain't running the new panel, so I don't know exactly how
those dialogs look.

Regards, Alexander Toresson