Aw: Re: New panel in trunk

Don Christensen djc at cisco.com
Fri Oct 14 23:53:28 CEST 2005

Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
> Fabian Nowak schreef:
>
>>launcher: ~ is not evaluated, this means executing ~/bin/someappstarter
>>does not work, ~ has to be replaced manually.
>

> Yeah. The panel is not a shell. If we want this, it is probably easier
> to execute everything with /bin/sh.

It's also the easiest way to introduce security holes.  You would be
better off just handling a few key things like maybe "~" and ENV var
expansion (without backtick evaluation, of course).  You might be
able to snarf code from bash or somewhere--the beauty of open source,
right?

-Don

--
Don Christensen       Senior Software Development Engineer
djc at cisco.com         Cisco Systems, Santa Cruz, CA