New panel and xfce menu

Daichi Kawahata daichi at xfce.org
Thu Oct 13 10:39:51 CEST 2005

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 16:50:36 -0700
Brian J. Tarricone wrote:

> > ** (xfdesktop:27182): CRITICAL **: xfdesktop: Could not locate a
> > registered categories file
> >
> > could it be a cause of the problem and if it is, how to fix it?
>
> Yep, that would definitely be the problem.  Are there any other
> errors reported before that, perhaps messages about XML parse errors?
> Are you using a language other than English?  Please try unsetting
> the LANG and any LC_* environment variables and see if that fixes
> the problem.  (And also, what language are you using?)
>
> Daichi, I know you've been messing with those files lately; is it
> possible you accidentally broke something?

Foxy, okay I misunderstood your problem, since you put the word
`panel', actually I thought you have the problem with `Xfce menu
plugin' in the new panel. Did you mean `Xfce menu' on the desktop,
didn't you?

Alexander, where does `/etc/xdg/xfce4/desktop/menudefs.hook' come
from? If your problem is distribution specific, it's hard to figure
the problem out for me.

Brian, as far as desktop files (menu.xml, xfce-registered-categories.xml)
are concerned, I've just been removed the trailing white-spaces and
sync'd with the desktop files in 4.2 branch because they're same file.
The problem for me is that Xfce menu plugin causes segfault against
the xfdesktop while Xfce menu on the desktop works fine in ja_JP.EUC.
I'm not sure it's DnD related, in other words GTK+ problem, but I
decided to bump the GTK+/Glib version latest.

Foxy, Alexander, Willie, could you check what's happened on your
config/cache files?

  ${HOME}/.config/xfce4/desktop/menu.xml
  ${HOME}/.cache/xfce4/desktop/menu-cache--\
        ${sysconfdir}-xdg-xfce4-desktop-menu.xml.${lang}.rc
  ${HOME}/.cache/xfce4/desktop/menu-cache--\
        ${sysconfdir}-xdg-xfce4-desktop-menu.xml.${lang}.xml
  ${HOME}/.cache/xfce4/desktop/menu-cache--\
        ${HOME}-.config-xfce4-desktop-menu.xml.rc
  ${HOME}/.cache/xfce4/desktop/menu-cache--\
        ${HOME}-.config-xfce4-desktop-menu.xml.xml

then if you didn't have your desktop menu heavy customized, what if
you remove the `$(HOME)/.config/xfce4/desktop/menu.xml'?

Regards,
--
Daichi

Language Codes: http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/IG/ert/iso639.htm