new panel, config files

Andreas J. Guelzow aguelzow at taliesin.ca
Mon Oct 3 14:52:39 CEST 2005

On Sun, 2005-02-10 at 23:17 -0700, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:

> Andreas J. Guelzow wrote:
> > On Sun, 2005-02-10 at 16:26 -0700, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> >
> >>I was thinking part of the usefulness of the panel assigning a config
> >>file name is that the panel can clean up after the plugin when it's
> >>removed.  So basically what I'm saying is that the panel should unlink()
> >>a plugin's config file when it's removed.  I have 25 files in
> >>~/.config/xfce4/panel/, and I only have 8 plugins in my panel.  I'm sure
> >>you probably have a lot more, considering testing ^_~.  What do you think?
> >

> > Hi Brian,
> >
> > personally I would hate this. If I were using my homedirectory from
> > several machines I would ideally like to have separate panel layouts for
> > the different machines. In that case removal of the config file for an
> > applet removed from one panel on one machine would interfere with the
> > setups for the other machines.
> >
> > Why would I like different setups for different machines? Well the
> > screen size may vary or I might have a dual head setup on some of the
> > machines.
>
> I see your point, but... do you actually have this setup?  You keep
> saying "if", and yet it seems like you're arguing a point based on a
> purely speculative situation that no one may not even care about, and
> you appear to only care about for academic reasons.  Why not let people
> who actually do have this situation speak up for themselves?

I am currently running xfce only on my home machine but we would like to
also run it in our departmental setup set-up if we can resolve a few
issues. (We are currently running Gnome on that network.) So technically
I do not have that set-up in place since there are still a few issues to
resolve. (For example we need some icons on the desktop proper.) In that
network, our academic staff would encounter the above situation, so it
is not purely speculative.

Andreas
--
Prof. Dr. Andreas J. Guelzow
Dept. of Mathematical & Computing Sciences