[Xfce-i18n] pt_BR translations update

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Tue Nov 22 00:05:08 CET 2005

Adriano Winter Bess wrote:
> I had a small problem while translating a specific string in
> xfcalendar. Before reporting this to the developer, I would like to
> know if there's anything that I, as a translator, can do. The following
> string was extracted from xfcalendar sources:
>
> #: ../src/appointment.c:859 ../src/appointment.c:860
> msgid "None"
> msgstr ""
>
> As you can see, this string is present both at lines 859 and 860 in
> file appointment.c, so it was extracted only once for translation. The
> problem is that, in brazilian portuguese, in the context that this
> string appears in line 859 it must be translated as "Nenhuma" and in
> the context that it appears in line 860 is must be translated as
> "Nenhum". So, what I wanted is that these two strings, besides being
> identical, were extracted separately so I could translate them
> separately too. Is this possible?

Yep. The suggested way to address this problem is to use Q_() instead of
_(), where you prefix the translatable string with "context|". E.g. use

 Q_("Context1|None")

with the first occurance and

 Q_("Context2|None")

with the second one. Of course you (Mickael/Juha :-) should use
descriptive context names, rather than "Context1"/"Context2". Q_()
automatically strips off the prefix from the returned string.

> Regards,
> Adriano

HTH,
Benedikt