libexo, Paths on amd64

Benedikt Meurer benny at xfce.org
Tue Nov 1 21:18:59 CET 2005

Mark Trompell wrote:
> Hi, is there a reason for installing pyexo.py, pyexo.pyc and pyexo.pyo
> into /usr/lib/ instead of /usr/lib64/?
> I use a conary (http://wiki.conary.com)based Linux Distribution and
> conary prevents packages from installing into /usr/lib and/usr/lib64 at
> the same time (it even prevents me from building such packages).
> Just for illustration of my problem I add the output from conary.
> So if there is no reason for using /usr/lib/ on x86_64 it would be nice
> if you can change the paths for 0.4.

I dunno why people prefer to complicate things using lib64 AND lib,
rather than using a simple compat directory for 32bit binary
compatibility. But whatever...

Here's what libexo does: It uses AM_PATH_PYTHON() from the automake
package to determine the various python dirs (check the automake source
and/or docs for details). Then it installs the pyexo.py file to the
$(pythondir) and the __init__.py and _exo.la files to
$(pyexecdir)/exo-0.3/ to be able to install various major versions
side-by-side (this is somewhat the suggested way).

So, your python installation reports both lib and lib64 dirs for
whatever reason (check AM_PATH_PYTHON).

> Best regards Mark

greets,
Benedikt