xfce4-modem-lights

Andreas J. Guelzow aguelzow at taliesin.ca
Tue May 17 21:09:23 CEST 2005

On Tue, 2005-17-05 at 14:38 -0400, Erik Harrison wrote:
> On 5/17/05, Andreas J. Guelzow <aguelzow at taliesin.ca> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have written a small xfce4-panel applet similar to the
> > gnome-modem-lights applet that allows establishing of a ppp connection
> > via the pon/poff scripts. The user can choose icons to indicate whether
> > dialing is in process, the connection has been established or the system
> > is disconnected. While the gnome-modem-lights applet also shows the
> > throughput, I have omitted that from the this applet since it would
> > duplicate functionality available through the xfce4-netload-plugin.
> >
> > I am releasing this code under GPL v.2 and am wondering whether the
> > xfce4 developer community is interested in adding this to its
> > distribution (post 4.2.2).
>
> Distribution? Probably not, but not because it isn't ultra-cool. In
> fact, we're trying to slim the core install - only including those
> plugins to manage functionality basic to the desktop (tasklist,
> launcher) or functionlity that may be historically managed by Xfce
> (the mail checker plugin).

I didn't really mean `core'. Since only people on dial-up can reasonably
use this applet, it would be silly making it a core package. I was
thinking more along the lines of the xfce-goodies, since that's were
most of the other xfce panel plugins seem to be.

> The goodies project by berlios is our semi official project for
> housing plugins and applications that extend Xfce. That is where the
> netload plugin is, in fact. And certainly distros are including the
> goodie within Xfce packages, so if you are included there, you are
> likely to ship with distros.

My main interest would be to have it somewhere where interested users
are likely to find it. The goodies project sounds perfect in that
regard.

Thanks

Andreas

--
Prof. Dr. Andreas J. Guelzow
Dept. of Mathematical & Computing Sciences