[Xfce-i18n] POTFILES.in updated in xffm

Edscott Wilson Garcia edscott at xfce.org
Wed May 11 00:26:13 CEST 2005

El mié, 11-05-2005 a las 01:11 +0900, Daichi Kawahata escribió:
> On Mon, 09 May 2005 10:43:58 -0500
> Edscott Wilson Garcia wrote:
>
> > > There's also bn_BD in language codes so I'm not sure it could be
> > > assumed whether bn and bn_IN would have exactly same translations
> > > (I'm asking about it to Bengali translator, Runa Bhattacharjee).
> >
> > If the situation is akin es--es_MX--es_ES or pt--pt_BR--pt_PT, some
> > translations might not be the same, but they would be understandable.
> > I guess that would be better than no translations at all...
>
> I've received his answer as follows,
>
>     Begin forwarded message:
>
>     Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 00:26:41 +0530
>     From: Runa B <runabh at gmail.com>
>     To: Daichi Kawahata <daichi.k at aioros.ocn.ne.jp>
>     Subject: Re: Bengali (INDIA) [bn_IN] translation for the 4.2 branch
>
>     On 5/9/05, Daichi Kawahata <daichi.k at aioros.ocn.ne.jp> wrote:
>
>     <snipped>
>
>     > Sorry for bothering you, but could you tell me if bn (Bengali) and
>     > bn_IN (Indian Bengali) should be distinguished or can I assume in_BD
>     > (Bengali in Bangladesh) and bn are exactly same ?
>
>     Bengali INDIA (bn_IN) is separate from Bengali (bn).
>     >
>     > Since, it's me who had moved Bengali translation in xffm desktop files
>     > to PO file bn.po and I think bn.po might be removed (you're joining as
>     > Bengali translator).
>
>     I am not the translator for the Bengali (bn) files...and I would
>     appreciate it if the bn_IN files are treated separately from the bn
>     translations.
>     >

>     hth
>     Runa
>
> Also, I've asked him to that he tells his opinion to us if possible, now
> I know bn and bn_IN are different certainly, still don't know how different
> these are ...

O well, if bn_IN is not comprehensible by someone who speaks Bengali but
who is not from India, then bn.po should be removed. This would be
similar to the situation with Chinese: zn_CN and zn_TW are actually two
different languages, hence, there is no zn.po file.

regards,

--
Edscott Wilson Garcia <edscott at xfce.org>