xfwm4 restore on move - patch

Ori Bernstein rand_chars at rogers.com
Sat Mar 26 20:48:14 CET 2005

Attached is a patch I have made for making xfwm4 restore windows on moving them,
behavior similar to Gnome's metacity.

It is a very useful feature for xinerama users (especially when using
dissimilar monitor resolutions), allowing the moving of windows from one monitor
to the other, while keeping it maximized to the screen size. Additionally, it's
a fast way of restoring windows.

There are currently a few places I'm unsure of, specifically the change to
clientToggleMaximized(), but I can't think of a case where you'd want to
maximize a window without having filling the screen. If there is, let me know
why my change is wrong, and I'll find a workaround for finding where to maximize
the window.

This feature can be turned off in the defaults file, of course, with the key
"restore_on_move".

Comments, criticisms, and flames are welcome, since I'm sorta new at this.
Hopefully I'm doing this right.

I'm also working on some enhancements for the iconbox on xinerama systems, as
there is currently no easy way to switch the monitor it's on.
I plan on making it draggable, like the panel - expect this patch to be sent in
the next little while.

--
Everyone talks about apathy, but no one does anything about it.