Multibyte characters in Xffm (was Re: Xfce4-fm crashes)

Edscott Wilson Garcia edscott at xfce.org
Sat Mar 26 03:01:54 CET 2005

El vie, 25-03-2005 a las 22:04 +0900, Daichi Kawahata escribió:
> On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 23:47:56 -0600
> Edscott Wilson Garcia wrote:
>
> > > Version 4.3.1.4 fixes the problems noted on the two screenshots.
>
> Thanks, directly sent screenshots (in 4.3.1.6) would be last case.

Both screen shot problems are now fixed in 4.3.1.7.

> > I've changed xffm so that any new files generated are in the default
> > codeset (not necessarily utf8).
>
> Thanks too, it still needs time all the users make decision to use
> UTF-8 in entire situation.

Yes. Currently xffm is set to use whatever is interpreted from $LANG,
but will interpret utf-8 encoded files correctly even if your
environment is not utf-8. Problems may arise with paths that combine
both utf-8 and euc-jp (is that a realistic problem?, maybe not...).

> > Smb configuration for japanese is different here, maybe because of
> > samba version:
> >
> > [global]
> >     display charset = EUC-JP
> >     unix charset = EUC-JP
> >
> > UTF8 also works, but combinations of utf8/euc-jp does not work in smb
> > navigation (one or the other), although combinations do work in local
> > navigation.
>
> My version was 2.2.8a, and yeah mixed charsets in the same directory
> wouldn't work... well, work locally in different directory!? also I
> never try it out that file interchange between Windows (UTF-8/SJIS)
> and Unix (EUC-JP/UTF-8), if there could be possible testing the above,
> codesets test would be completed as far as LTR multibyte characters are
> concerned, though.

Good. If nothing more comes up, we can announce xffm/xfce4-fm as
japanese compatible.

regards,

--
Edscott Wilson Garcia <edscott at xfce.org>