Multibyte characters in Xffm (was Re: Xfce4-fm crashes)

Edscott Wilson Garcia edscott at xfce.org
Fri Mar 25 06:47:56 CET 2005

El jue, 24-03-2005 a las 11:56 -0600, Edscott Wilson Garcia escribió:
> El mié, 23-03-2005 a las 14:32 +0900, Daichi Kawahata escribió:
> > On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 21:00:35 -0600
> > Edscott Wilson Garcia wrote:
> >
> > > You can test by configuring a samba server and using the samba plugin
> > > to connect to the samba server (even if it's the same box). In this
> > > case all encoding should be utf8. More problems should arise if the
> > > remote server is a windows box, because then the encoding can be in
> > > one of several different japanese encodings...
> >
> > I've succeeded finally ;) the following
> >
> >     [global]
> >       coding system = EUC
> >       client code page = 932
> >
> > configurations enable to display local file name ordinarily (without
> > Pango-WARNING), see xffm_smb.png. I'll try SJIS/UTF-8 file name, in
> > these cases, possibly it needs "coding system = SJIS/UTF8".
> >
> > > Please do. Use gimp to circle the part where the output is wrong.
> >
> > Okay, I sent another sample (in 4.3.1.0) to you.
>
> Version 4.3.1.4 fixes the problems noted on the two screenshots. And
> also some problems when using the rename/symlink/duplicate functions.
> Since files created (not moved/copied) by xffm are done in utf-8, some
> mixed euc-jp/utf8 paths can be created. These are displayed correctly by
> xffm but might give rise to some confusion. Say for example that you
> duplicate a directory. Since the duplicate is created in utf-8, you
> might see 2 directories with the same name (one is utf8 and the other
> euc-jp). So now names that are not utf8 valid are displayed in another
> color.

I've changed xffm so that any new files generated are in the default
codeset (not necessarily utf8). Smb configuration for japanese is
different here, maybe because of samba version:

[global]
    display charset = EUC-JP
    unix charset = EUC-JP

UTF8 also works, but combinations of utf8/euc-jp does not work in smb
navigation (one or the other), although combinations do work in local
navigation.

--
Edscott Wilson Garcia <edscott at xfce.org>