This is why Xfce was dropped from Fedora Core 4

Xavier Otazu xotazu at cvc.uab.es
Thu Mar 3 13:18:03 CET 2005

	Hi:

	Reading this link, I honestly think that these guys are interested in the
feel/looks-like-Microsoft philosophy.

	They delete abiword/gnumeric to favour OpenOffice !!!! IMHO, Its really
amazing! ... and stupid. Everybody knows that OO is full of bugs and security
issues because it is like a Microsoft emulator... not to talk about the
slooooooow behaviour and bloody-extra-memory-disk size of OO. Another reason is
that gnumeric and abiword have less problems that OO to show Microsoft
documents.

	Another prove for short-minded is the removal of gv/ggv/gpdf !!! Gv is simply
the fastest PostScript viewer (in fact, ggv is a bit slower). xpdf is also the
fastest PDF viewer, being gpdf close to it, but slower. The last choice is
clearly acroread. Obviously these guys are deleting the fastest viewers to
favour the slower and bigger-size ones (kpdf, acroread, etc).

	The xfce removal is the final prove that there is some strange, obscure and
(probably) interest-related reason to choose the clearly worst Linux tools (and
the most near-Microsft tools) to be included in their distribution.

	Well, probably they are thinking on Windows users who wants to switch to Linux
word, hence they have to build a Microsoft-like environtment in order the user
feels comfortable.

	This is the usual Fedora, Mandrake, Suse, RedHat and similar Linux
distributions. Many of us think that these are clearly not the best (in fact the
worst) options for Linux.

cheers

Xavier