Todo list for Xfce 4.4

Edscott Wilson Garcia edscott at xfce.org
Thu Jun 23 16:18:53 CEST 2005

El jue, 23-06-2005 a las 14:38 +0200, Jasper Huijsmans escribió:

> 2d) File managers
> ==================
> Hehe, I didn't want to burn my hands on this one, so I made a separate
> category ;-)
> - xffm
> - thunar
>
> * Edscott seems to be well on his way towards xffm 4.4. Edscott, is there
>   anything specific you'd like people to help you with? For those interested
>   there are regular development releases that could use testing.

Specific: testing the iconview gui (default for xffm since 4.3.2.0) for
bugs, confusing behaviour, performance potholes or problems with file
systems with extended-ascii or utf-8 codesets. Current SVN trunk will
compile with 4.2.0 libraries and xfce4-icon-theme from SVN trunk *or*
gnome-icon-theme-2.8.0 (an evolution dependency) and the tiny
libdbh-1.0.24.

The basic features for the iconview are practically set, so any
suggestions should come now, while there is still time for changes.
Since 4.4 will have no "preferences" selection, the program must work in
an intuitive non-geeky way (biggest challenge so far). For example, what
would be less geeky, single click or double click navigation?

I have not made up my mind on many things, so they can be changed. This
is what is already defined:

-Wastebaskets will always be visible (the trash plugin can be removed by
user/packager and replaced with a module that handles trash in a
different way). If trash module not present, deleted files will be
simply unlinked, no wastebaskets generated.

-No toolbar. No main-menu. Everything is done by DnD or context
sensitive popup menu. The reason for this is that instead of having a
filemanager with one gui to please everybody, xffm will have as many
guis as it takes to please everyone (as long as "everyone" defines
his/her own with xffm libraries).

regards,

--
Edscott Wilson Garcia <edscott at xfce.org>