Planning for for 4.4 panel

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Wed Jun 22 11:12:29 CEST 2005

On Wed, Jun 22, 2005 at 12:01:31PM +0300, Peeter Vois wrote:
> Hi
>
> >So, how to go about this?
> >
> >- Create a (GObject based) plugin implementation with interface
> >  completely separate from panel internals.
> >

> GTK1.2 had sockets for placing windows of different process into.

Yeah, so does gtk 2. GtkPlug/GtkSocket will be the basis for out-of-process
plugins. I'm not sure it will be the same for in-process plugins, but it could
be.

My goal is to make the plugins as independent of the panel as possible, to
minimize the required communication. Size and orientation could hopefully be
the only things the plugin needs to know about the panel. And a unique ID to
identify config files.

If anyone has more thoughts or suggestions about this, please let me know.

Thanks,
	Jasper