E17 Benchmarks

Jud judmarc at fastmail.fm
Fri Jun 10 04:11:25 CEST 2005

I'm a late arrival to the list and hence the thread, and I'm not a
developer - probably more in the 'brain-dead user' category than
anything else.  :-)  With those qualifications, here are my thoughts for
whatever they may be worth:

- Having given E17 a try, it's my impression that benchmarks are being
touted because at this point that is what can be optimized.  I don't
think E17 is far enough along to optimize usability.  XFCE has very fine
usability.  Its simplicity and ease of use are among the primary
qualities that attract me.  I agree with Benedikt re not making users
suffer the 'death of a thousand options.'

- OTOH, I also agree with Olivier.  Why not use those of us brave enough
to try development code as crash-test dummies, eh, and see if any of
these stupid ideas turn out not to be so stupid once we have time to try
them out and grow a bit accustomed to them?  Those that don't work can
be junked and little harm done.

Jud