E17 benchmarks

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Thu Jun 9 22:21:03 CEST 2005

Olivier Fourdan wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 12:24 -0700, Don Christensen wrote:
>>I think that making the intelligent window placement a selectable
>>option would be relatively easy and could help with benchmarks.
>>And heck, someone might even prefer the non-intelligent placement
>>behavior.
>
> Actually, I'm really considering removing the smart placement. Not
> because it makes things slower, but because I come to the conclusion
> that when I run an application, I expect it to appear where my eyes
> look, and that's generally in the middle of the screen...
>
> I sometimes have to search the new windows because they are placed
> around.
>
> So I'm thinking of an different algorithm, a lot simpler, and more
> "usable".

I didn't plan to add my opinion to this thread initially. But I think, I
should mention that xfwm4's placement algorithm is one of its strengths,
esp. with xinerama setups.

Dunno about the quality your "simpler, more usable algorithm", but it
would be a shame to downgrade the window manager just because people
tend to misinterpret misleading benchmarks.

If the new algorithm is a win, go for it. But we all know that the
use-case described by the benchmark does not even have exotic quality
and there's nothing to learn from the results, except that it's too easy
to catch people with meaningless statements.

> Cheers,
> Olivier.

Benedikt