New file manager (WAS Re: xffm)

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Mon Jan 31 22:00:14 CET 2005

Hi Edscott, everybody,

On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 08:31 -0600, edscott wilson garcia wrote:
> So I'd say, "use rox and wait until 4.3.1 to give the xffm iconview a
> try".

Ok, I tend to disagree. I don't think xffm should become any more
complex. I mean, it's already far too complex.

What I'd love to see is a very basic simple icon view based file
manager, to tree view, no plugins, no samba, no nothing but simple file
management.

Ideally, I think it should be started from scratch, and designed from
the ground up with both user interface and code maintainability in mind.

Create the necessary GTK widgets (only if needed), keep the code simple
and clear, etc.

I would also love to see others developers take part of it - I would
myself like to help if possible.

And if you want my point, this should be the only strong goal of Xfce
4.4. That's why I'd like to see as many devs involved as possible. Let's
put all of our (little) energy in this.

Cheers,
Olivier.