xffm

David Fraser davidf at sjsoft.com
Mon Jan 31 16:03:52 CET 2005

edscott wilson garcia wrote:

>El lun, 31-01-2005 a las 09:48 +0200, David Fraser escribió:
>

>>edscott wilson garcia wrote:

>>>Bit OT, but xffm does not require more than 2.2 for the iconview, so it
>>>does not have any special requirements in this sense.
>>>
>>>But yes, the xffm treview front-end is much too geeky and not too
>>>appealing to the ordinary user. This should change with a simpler
>>>iconview as the "core" front-end. Local file operations should be core,
>>>maybe not other stuff like smb-network (which can be packaged separately
>>>since it is a plugin).
>>>

>>To be honest, I still haven't been able to work out how to use xffm and
>>I'm a geek :-)
>>I felt it was my duty to read the documentation. After having read it,
>>xffm still doesn't fit with my brain... (no offense, edscott, your brain
>>must be much superior :-))
>>

>The treeview front-end takes some time getting used to. The double
>treeview from 4.0 was very screwy, but with 4.2 behaves in a sane
>fashion. OTH, I am aware that most users do not need or want a
>filemanager where you can do everything without opening yet another root
>level window. What xffm critics do not seem to understand is that the
>treeview front-end is just that: a front end.
>
>The front-end can also be an iconview, and will be for 4.3.1. The
>treeview front-end will still be available but stay out of the way if
>not requested.

I presume the front-end here means the right hand panel displaying the
files ...
I found it confusing that there is a tree on the left to select certain
things and another tree on the right to select other things.
I think having an iconview will make it easier.

>The difference between xffm and rox/nautilus/konqueror is that xffm
>talks and listens to other programs. Both nautilus/konqueror and
>conqueror other program's libraries instead. Rox talks, but only does
>some listening.
>

>>Is there any more standard file manager that people can recommend for
>>use with xfce?
>>

>By standard, I suppose iconview. Here are some options:
>
>Nautilus is very pretty and not so slow anymore, but has tons of
>dependencies and prefers to takeover your desktop. The nautilus treeview
>is a no-no.

Right, I tried it out and this is a good summary.

>Konqueror is not so pretty and has tons of dependencies but will not
>provide desktop icons (although one of it's dependencies will). The
>konqueror treeview is quite good.

Yes, konqueror has nice functionality but as you said it uses loads of
stuff (and Qt)...
Also I would rather have a folder tree completely separate to a file
list, so a tree view as such isn't important to me ... Konqueror in File
Manager mode seems to work well.

>Rox is small and fast. The default settings are uncommon (single-click
>navigation, new windows with a different sizes, out-of-the-ordinary
>popup menu) but most of these things can be configured by the user.
>There is no treeview front-end, and it can provide icons on the desktop.

It is really fast. Shame about the treeview...

>So I'd say, "use rox and wait until 4.3.1 to give the xffm iconview a
>try".

OK thanks. I'm wondering if there are any other things that can be done
to make xffm more intuitive ... Or maybe there just needs to be another
lighter-weight-but-simpler-file-manager-for-xfce. Although I hardly use
it, what I'm really looking for is something fairly similar to Windows
Explorer :-)
I'll play around with the above apps and see what suits me best...

David