dbh/xffm conflict

edscott wilson garcia edscott at xfce.org
Sat Jan 29 18:25:16 CET 2005

El sáb, 29-01-2005 a las 17:53 +0100, Olivier Fourdan escribió:
> Hey Edscott,
>
> FYI it breaks everything because it links libdbh-1.0.21.1.0.0 to libdbh
> while most apps expect libdbh-1.0.so.1 or libdbh-1.0.so (as the name is
> dbh-1.0)

I don't know why, but odd version numbers of libdbh always turn out
broken someway :-(

> E.g.
>
> xffm: error while loading shared libraries: libdbh-1.0.so.1: cannot open
>
> Also, it seems 1.0.21 adds new functions. That means that it should be
> another major version (ie dbh-2.0)

No, it should not add new functions. All changes are to remove the
unnecessary stuff from dbh_config.h (now generated as Benny suggested).
The changes to dbh.c are because config.h needs to be included (this
file was part of dbh_config.h before). I'm also now using
xfce4-dev-tools to generate configure script.

> > xffm from CVS requires dbh-1.0.21, but the package you provide on sf.net
> > is broken and cannot be used (I can't get it to work).

I'll look into it at the moment.

> > It would be great if you could fix DBH so it works. Also, the configure
> > script sets gcc options, but gcc should not be a requirement for Xfce
> > and I don't understand the need for such specific arguments for gcc.

It sets gcc options? That should not be. Configure should check whether
the compiler is gcc or not before adding the options. But they are
really not necessary, so I will remove. There's also a "#warning"
somewhere which is not too portable either, and will be removed.

regards,

Edscott