Recent Files plugin - GNOME-style

Lasse Bigum Lasse at hardwareonline.dk
Fri Jan 28 00:00:55 CET 2005

Hello everyone :-)

Have been trying Xfce for some time on and off, but your new 4.2 release really
got me hooked, now I just need ATI to supply me with some proper drivers for
X.org to really shine :-)

Anyways, as part of giving back, I was thinking about coding a "Recent Files"
thing, either as a plugin to the panel, or as part of the "Xfce Menu"
plugin. But again, people might like to stuff it into the xfdesktop menu
instead.
So, what are your ideas about this?

Apparently there's already a standard for doing this, at first it was created as
a thing for GNOME, but it grew into a freedesktop.org standard now it seems:
http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Standards_2frecent_2dfile_2dspec
This should make it rather easy to make that plugin. Also, following your list,
it seems that you already have some rather powerful XML-parsing tools, so
parsing the ~/.recent-files would seem trivial.

I've found the GNOME repo for their "recent files" thing (I think), but can you
give me any other pointers and suggestions before I get started? It's been some
time since I last did C, but I should manage :)

Thanks in advance for any help!

Regards,
Lasse

--
When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute and it's longer than any hour. That's relativity." ~ Albert Einstein