library versioning

Biju Chacko botsie at xfce.org
Mon Jan 24 14:35:43 CET 2005

Benedikt Meurer wrote:
> Jeff Franks wrote:
>
>> Benedikt Meurer wrote:
>>

>>> Agreed. But you should be aware that most probably, Xfce 5.0 won't be
>>> released within the next ten years (atleast if we keep our current
>>> release cycle). ;-)
>>>

>> Blackbox, WindowMaker, snore..., snore..., ten years..., Xfce5..., god
>> I hope not!
>

> I think its a very good thing, if we could live with Xfce4 for the next
> ten years. Ten years with mostly one codebase would tell a lot about the
> quality of the code (tho, I doubt we'll manage it).

I think Jeff has a wrong idea of what kind of magnitude of changes
require a major version number change.

3 to 4 was a ground up re-write with absolutely no common code. That is
the kind of changes we'd be looking at for Xfce5.

There's nothing to stop us from going up indefinitely -- my guess is
that if we continue at the current rate we'll probably go to 4.8 or 4.10
before we decide to go to 5 and at that point it won't be a ground up
rewrite but just major refactoring.

-- b