Widgetizing Appfinder

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Sat Jan 22 23:00:30 CET 2005

Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
> Eduard Roccatello wrote:
>
>> Hello Folks!!! ;-)
>>
>> I'm porting Appfinder to a widget to make it more reusable than in the
>> past. After this step we should move the widget to libxfce4util to make
>> it useful for other modules.
>>
>> Some examples:
>> - Panel may use appfinder widget to add new launchers
>> - Menueditor may use appfinder to add launchers to the xfdesktop menu
>> - Xfrun may use it for application harvesting
>> - XfDesktop may use it for add launcher to the desktop.
>> - As the code improves, Xffm could use it as "Open with.." feature
>>
>> Xfce4-Appfinder would be only a container with added features :o)
>>
>> What do you think about it?
>>

> Exactly what I hoped you would do ;-)
>
> Anyway, for the menu parsing I believe Benedikt wrote something better
> than what is currently in xfdesktop, so I think we would like to have
> that in libxfce4util and make the appfinder widget use it too.

I already discussed that with brian some time ago, and I think its
better to put the xdg menu stuff into a library (we need to sort out the
GUI stuff - namely XfceMenu* classes - if we want this in libxfce4util,
tho). One nice effect would be, that all apps using the xdg menu would
share one single .desktop cache (probably mmap'ed into all processes).

But this will take some time to rework, esp. since the current
implementation still features some nasty bugs (most notably with legacy
menus).

But, for "Open with..." we should stick to the MIME application spec.
The implementation should share the .desktop cache with the menu code,
but other than that, I don't think it buy us much to blow up the menu
code with MIME handling (this differs from what I initially said to
Brian, as I tried to combine MIME handling with the menu code in the
meantime and it made things overly complicated). Lets keep things simple
and easy to maintain. Although, just my 0.02€...

>     Jasper

greets,
Benedikt