library versioning

Oliver Lehmann lehmann at ans-netz.de
Sat Jan 22 15:19:14 CET 2005

Jeff Franks wrote:

> Isn't libxfceutil-4.3.so an unstable development library, and
> libxfceutil-4.4.so the stable release version?

My point is: why changing the name even if nothing changed. Take
libxfce4util.so.1. In 4.0.6 it was libxfce4util.so.1 too.

When the ABI doesn't gets changed, it makes no sence to rename the
library.

If it is requiered to install different versions of xfce4, install them in
different locations (--prefix) and use -L to make shure everything
gets linked against the right library. Further, use -rpath to make shure
it will use the right library later.

--
 Oliver Lehmann
  http://www.pofo.de/