get on d-bus!

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Fri Jan 21 20:49:33 CET 2005

Benedikt Meurer wrote:

> I already suggested Brian to use D-BUS for Xfmedia, instead of
> reinventing the wheel, so, yes, of course, get on d-bus! But be
> prepared for breakage.

i'll probably implement it for xfmedia first, and then do xfdesktop.
maybe.  we'll see.  depends on my mood.

> BTW: You can save yourself a lot of time and trouble, if you read the
> documentation (esp. the protocol specification) first. That gives you
> a good idea of the D-BUS world and terminology (yes, its different
> from CORBA!).

yeah, i've already skimmed through it, though i could use a refresh.  it
seemed pretty easy to understand the first time through.

> And one last thing: Don't make applications depend on the session bus!
> The applications should work, no matter if the session bus is present
> or not. E.g., if somebody starts xfdesktop outside a dbus session,
> then xfdesktop IPC won't work, but the user should still be able to
> use xfdesktop to manage the background.

indeed.  xfdesktop's IPC will mainly be used to remote-control xfdesktop
from the commandline.  if d-bus isn't available, then that just won't
work.  oh well, too bad, so sad.  i probably won't require d-bus for
compilation either, at least until/if we decide to make it a
desktop-wide dependency.

    -brian