Slow xfrun, [was: new dev branch stuff]

Ondrej Mihalyi mihalyi at matfyz.cz
Thu Jan 20 20:35:25 CET 2005

> > The interesting thing here is that the decision about sacrificing RAM
> > for speed may depend on how much RAM is available. So if all the
> > developers have lots of RAM, they may find that they can speed things up
> > by using lots of it, but on an old system (like the Linux lab that I set
> > up at my church) this may in fact slow things down.
> > An example is parsing XML files and storing caches of them. I often
> > wonder whether a better design can avoid the decision altogether :-)

> Which brings us to the "xfrun is awfully slow" reports.
> Yes, it is true. Xfrun can be awfully slow. Read on.

I don't know if there is something special about xfrun4 apart from other similar applications that launch programs, but I thought you could have a look at "gmrun", which is I believe more lightweight than xfrun4 and provides more features (shell completion (!!!) on Tab, support for shell commands), basically is executes everything as if you write it into the terminal

I just thought you could have a look at hove it works and copy some code to xfrun4 or completely replace it with gmrun patched however you want.  I myself use gmrun instead of xfrun4 in XFCE4.2, my Alt+F2 launches gmrun and Run Program in desktop menu too.

Gmrun has only gtk2.2.1 requirements,
it also needs libstdc++5 and libgcc1, the latter one is requiered by xfree86 and I believe both are needed in system whether gmrun is installed or not

Just my two cents, I just wanted to help with some advice
(without disregard, I don't like xfrun as it is now and I really enjoy that something like gmrun exists so that I can replace it easily)

Cheers and thanx for working on XFCE, i love it

Ondrej