XFCE 4.2.0, Xft resolution, DBus and ssh-agent

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Thu Jan 20 08:38:32 CET 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-20 at 07:22 +0100, Jens Luedicke wrote:
> >    1) Why do not use the default Xft resolution ? On 72/75 DPI screen,
> > it's a bad idea to set Xft resolution to 96 DPI as it give a very huge
> > font size.
>
> I made the experience that you get the best font appearence/results with
> 96 dpi. I had crippled looking truetype fonts and font size
> differences in Gtk and Qt
> without running the server in 96 dpi.

I'll second that, but the real point in favour of forcing dpi are:

1) Sometimes, monotors don't return the correct physical screen size,
and the reported/computed dpi is consequently wrong
2) We need top keep consistency between the default font size and the
default theme size so that it works just out of the box with default
settings.

HTH
Olivier.