XFCE 4.2.0, Xft resolution, DBus and ssh-agent

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Wed Jan 19 20:35:33 CET 2005

LiNuCe wrote:

> Hello,
>
>   I'm currently packaging XFCE 4.2.0 for Linux Slackware 10.0. I have
> noticed that default xinitrc script for XFCE set Xft resolution to 96
> (instead of using default X resolution) and try to start the dbus
> daemon and ssh-agent. Here are my questions :
>
>   1) Why do not use the default Xft resolution ? On 72/75 DPI screen,
> it's a bad idea to set Xft resolution to 96 DPI as it give a very huge
> font size.

i dunno.  someone else should answer this ^_~.

>   2) Why DBus usz used for in XFCE ? Is it really usefull in XFCE ?

if you use anything that uses d-bus, then yes.  if not, then no.  if you
don't use anything that uses d-bus, you probably don't even have d-bus
installed, and so it won't be started.

>   3) Why does the script start ssh-agent ? Is it really usefull in XFCE ?

same as #2, though anyone that uses ssh often (and uses public key auth,
which you should be) will find ssh-agent useful.  again, if it's not
installed, it doesn't get run.

at any rate, d-bus and ssh-agent are obviously not official dependencies.

    -brian