Taskmanager

Auke Kok sofar at lunar-linux.org
Tue Jan 18 15:11:51 CET 2005

Johannes Zellner wrote:

> Hello
>
> I wrote a little taskmanger for xfce.
> http://x.nebulon.de/xftask-0.0.1.tar.gz
> Well it's my first project, using gtk and the autotools, so be nice
> please :)
>
> If anyone likes it, he could help me with the translationsystem.

I like it! However I usually refrain from helping code and provide my
unasked advice so you may improve on this fine program:

- I kind of prefer showing only the users processes by default. Perhaps
you can make it optional to show other peoples processes too

- "cancel" would be better replaced by "end process" indeed as Jasper
suggested, although there is a wide variety of word choices possible for
this

- More advanced would be to have a right-click menu that per task allows
you to "TERM", "KILL", "STOP" and "CONT" tasks. I find these 4 signals
very usefull in my daily routines and would love to have them available

- Ask benny(?) how to get your app to display an icon in the systray so
you can minimize/hide this window. That way people can have it always
running. Maybe it would be too windows-esque to have the systray icon
update the status or something but you can do what you want ;^).

- It would be relatively easy to translate the UID value into the
username (libc call I think)

- the column headers scrolls away offscreen when you scroll down

- I can't resort the list yet

anyway It looks very (very) promising as Jasper already said. You should
really put some more time in it ;^)

sofar