Xfce 4.2.0 released!

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Sun Jan 16 17:46:23 CET 2005

Official Announcement
---------------------

The Xfce Team[1] is pleased to announce the availability of Xfce 4.2.0,
the next major version of the Xfce Desktop Environment and Development
Framework for Unix and Unix-like platforms. Xfce 4.2.0 can be downloaded
here[2].

Xfce 4.2.0 includes new applications like a session manager and an
application finder, a new and beautiful icon theme, support for
bleeding-edge features (like the X.org Composite extension), usability
and performance improvements, better support for multihead desktops,
new and updated translations, additional themes, and various other
improvements over the previous stable releases. See this page[3] for a
complete list of changes between Xfce 4.0 and Xfce 4.2.

Furthermore, Xfce 4.2 is the first desktop environment to ship with an
easy-to-use and platform-independent graphical installation wizard,
which takes care of compiling and installing Xfce on your system. Visit
the os-cillation installers website[4] for download links and instructions.

If you want to try Xfce 4.2.0 first, without installing anything on your
system, you might want to try the Xfce Live Demo[5] 0.2, provided by
os-cillation[6], to discover the power and efficiency of Xfce.

A short trailer that introduces Xfce 4.2.0 is available in high- and
low-bandwidth versions here[7].

[1] http://www.xfce.org/
[2] http://www.xfce.org/index.php?page=download
[3] http://www.xfce.org/release_notes/4.2.0_changelog.html
[4] http://xfce-installers.os-cillation.com/
[5] http://www.xfld.org/
[6] http://www.os-cillation.com/
[7] http://xfce.org/various/trailers.html

Spread Xfce!
------------

If you plan to announce Xfce 4.2.0 on your favourite news site now, please
remember to use the official "Short announcement" (or a translation of
it), since we have all agreed on that text. The text is available from:

   http://www.xfce.org/~benny/releng.html

(use only the version marked as "Final").

Personal notes

I'd like to thank all contributors that were involved in the development
of this great new Xfce release. A big thumbs up to all testers, who have
helped to find and fix bugs, to all users who have made suggestions on
how to improve Xfce, to all translators, who did an impressive job (41
different languages!), and to everybody else who contributed to this
release in some way. I'm really proud to be part of this great open
source project!

greets,
Benedikt