[RELEASE] 4.2.0 tarballs available

Brad Cowan bcowan at gentoo.org
Fri Jan 14 18:12:51 CET 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-14 at 17:42 +0100, Benedikt Meurer wrote:

> Brad (I CC'd you with this email, because I wasn't sure if you are
> subscribed to the list), please don't upload new ebuilds too early. At
> best, upload them, so that they become available on sunday evening
> (CET), because else I'm afraid several portage users will repeat
> distrowatch's mistake. Is that possible? It would be perfect! ;-)

The ebuilds are ready and I've had a few trusted devs testing them. I'm
going to try and rush this to our stable tree so it gets in our new
bi-annual released binary install cds. I know they won't be committed
until at least 5pm EST because I have to work.

> Again (as some people still don't seem to have understand the meaning of
> a Release Date): This is _NOT_ the 4.2.0 Release! These are the tarballs
> for the Release, but the Release happens when the Release Manager says
> its done (which at minimum includes an up-to-date website)! Please don't
> announce 4.2.0 release until you see the "4.2.0 is released!"
> announcement on the mailinglists! This is not funny; we've spent a lot
> of time and effort for 4.2.0, and its really sad to see that some people
> don't respect that.

You'll have that. Best way IMHO is not release any public info at all
until time. Have a contact list and only they have access to the
tarballs. When I seen that link to tarballs posted on ML I sorta figured
this would happen (been there before).  I was release coordinator for
gentoo for some time, but had to step down after 1.4 because of
work/time constraints when I had my first child.
--
Brad Cowan <bcowan at gentoo.org>
Developer,

Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xB1F16A56
Key fingerprint = C408 75B9 E68D 26E2 EAAE  20CF 4D5E 293D B1F1 6A56