Charset problem in Terminal

James Tappin james at tappin.me.uk
Sun Jan 9 15:26:52 CET 2005

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 08:24:50 -0600
edscott wilson garcia <edscott at xfce.org> wrote:

> So basically, what it does is:
> 1- Check for TERMCMD environment variable. If set, verifies that it is a
> valid command. This environment variable comes from the
> xfce-mcs-manager.
> 2- If no valid TERMCMD is set, then a check is made for xfce4-terminal
> and if that is not found then xterm is used.
> 3- Since both xfce4-terminal and xterm support the -hold option, then
> the environment variables are checked for this and the command line set
> accordingly.
> 4- The argv parameter is obtained from the constructed command line by
> glib function.
> 5- The environment variable PWD is set to the working directory
> (xfce4-terminal needs this).
> 6- The command is executed by the glib function g_spawn_async().
>
> I suggest you first enable "verbose diagnostics". That way you will get
> the complete list of argv printed out to the diagnostics window. If the
> problem is not apparent from there, try to comment out the environment
> variable stuff replace the what_term() function with:
>
> const gchar* what_term(void){return "Terminal";}
>
> HTH
>
> regards,
>
> Edscott

Hi,
I managed to take a look at things today. In essence the only significant
difference I can see between what happens in xffm and in xfce4-panel is
that xffm uses g_spawn_async to run the command, while the panel uses
xfce_exec which  uses g_spawn_async_with_pipes. Both look to be sending
the same command. So right now it doesn't make much sense to me.

Best regards,
	James

P.S. Since I installed ROXfiler, Terminal has been starting without WM
decorations however it is started (except those Terminals started by the
session manager). I've removed ROX, rebuilt XFCE4 from a more recent CVS
and recompiled and re-installed Terminal to no avail???
--
James Tappin,             O__      "I forget the punishment for using
james at tappin.me.uk       --  \/`    Microsoft --- Something lingering