xffm icon view

edscott wilson garcia edscott at xfce.org
Fri Jan 7 16:45:31 CET 2005

El vie, 07-01-2005 a las 03:17 +0200, jaanus escribió:
> I heared that xffm CVS head had icon view, so i downloaded & compiled it
> but can't find it. Is it not finished yet or where can i enable/change it?

The icon view is in development. Currently you can only select stuff and
navigate through local-files, frequent/recent-files, fstab-files and
trash-files. The first phase is to get the navigation of all plugins
working correctly. After that the drag-n-drop/cut-n-paste will be linked
in, as well as toolbar and popup menu. I'm not sure whether the main
menu will be present or not, nor how to handle the diagnostics output.

To access the iconview, execute "xfce4-fm". When xffm is executed with
this name, it uses the iconview. In future days or weeks, all the
treeview code will be in a separate library so that memory footprint and
startup time will be substancially reduced.

A few notes:
- Double clicking with button 1 allows you to navigate *without* opening
a new iconview for each directory (like Nautilus, but if you want to
open a new iconview you must hold down control-key).

- Single clicking with button 2 allows you to navigate by opening a new
iconview for each directory (like Rox).

Comments, ideas, problems encountered, suggestions and constructive
criticism welcome;
(destructive criticism | /dev/null;)

regards,

Edscott

BTW, make sure you do a make uninstall for version 4.2, because the
plugin library directories have changed and you should keep a tidy
$prefix/lib/xfce4.