Charset problem in Terminal

James Tappin james at tappin.me.uk
Mon Jan 3 17:38:24 CET 2005

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 13:19:05 +0100
Benedikt Meurer <benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de> wrote:

> James Tappin wrote:
> > When I define "Terminal" as the TERMCMD in xffm and then use it to
> > launch a terminal in a directory, I get a wierd charset (see attached
> > screenshot). If I use other terminals e.g. gnome-terminal or a plain
> > xterm there is no problem and Terminal works correctly when launched
> > from the panel or the command line.
>
> So, it only happens if you run Terminal from xffm?

I've now managed a more thorough investigation, and it appears that there
are 3 fonts which suffer from this problem "Monospace", "Sans" and "Serif"
(there may be some of the more obscure ones as well but of the mainstream
fonts that I've checked, those are the affected ones.

Of the various terminal emulators where abitrary fonts can be easily
selected: Terminal, xfce4-terminal and gnome-terminal are affected,
konsole is not.

James

--
James Tappin,             O__      "I forget the punishment for using
james at tappin.me.uk       --  \/`    Microsoft --- Something lingering