Keeping POTFILES.in sync'd

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Thu Feb 24 17:47:26 CET 2005

Daichi Kawahata wrote:
> Hi,

Hey Daichi,

> I wrote a *rough* *uncivilized* shell script which creates POTFILES.in
> file. Personally, I'd include this script into xfce4-dev-tools, and
> invoke with certain m4 macro or include it macro itself so that this
> list file will be generated automatically in autogen.sh process, of
> course it needs to be modified.
>
> There must be clever way, I'll welcome your (shell/perl script, m4
> macro, autotools magician) opinion.

Its up to the maintainer to adjust POTFILES.in, when he includes another
file. Automating this using a script looks like awaiting breakage,
atleast for me, as I normally have uncommitted, test .c files and such
in my local sandboxes, and so it would break other peoples builds if I'd
create a tarball with a POTFILES.in, that was generated on my system
(ok, one could argue that creating tarballs should happen from a clean
sandbox...).

Since adding new files to a project is not one of the most common
operations (atleast not in Xfce), I don't see the need to scriptify the
generation of POTFILES.in, but I may be missing your point. Maybe you
can explain?

greets,
Benedikt