How to maintain non-core stuff?

Lasse Bigum Lasse at hardwareonline.dk
Tue Feb 22 00:57:32 CET 2005

On 16:01, Mon 21 Feb, Edscott Wilson Garcia wrote:
> That sounds real good. Having all the xfce related stuff at a single site is
> message to the world that xfce has moved up a notch.

Indeed :-)

> > (Tho, there's the question, how to layout the modules in the repository.
> > With CVS, it would be pretty simple: Just have one toplevel module per
> > application. With SVN, this would become cumbersome with several
> > different locations for tags and branches.)
> >
> /me prefers CVS, but that's because I know how to use it. Maybe SVN is easier
> than CVS and I must take my foot out of my mouth.

The *only* thing you need to change is "cvs" with "svn", literally :-)

Another thing is that it fixes the broken behaviour of people doing "cvs up" to
check what files have changed, in svn that's "svn st" (for status). If you want
to really update your files, you do a "svn up", and likewise a "svn ci -m 'yadda
yadda'" for commits. It's really easy, have been engineered so that long-time
CVS folks can get down and dirty with it quickly, and yet it is soooo much
better :-)
I especially like the "svn switch" command, making it *much* easier to move
between repositories, and also the fact that you can move files intelligently,
with a "svn move from/file to/file", instead of manually moving deleting and
adding files.

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/ <-- great resource on Subversion.

/Lasse

--
I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark. ~ Muhammed Ali