How to maintain non-core stuff?

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Sat Feb 19 13:16:09 CET 2005

Benedikt Meurer wrote:
>>> Hehehe, do I need to say how much I agree ;)
>>>
>>> As a side note, we could even take the opportunity to move to svn maybe,
>>> if possible?
>>>

>> IIRC with svn, we can set permissions in every directory and every user
>> doesn't need a shell account on the server (with the http method). If
>> i'm correct it would allow translators to commit their updates by
>> themselves.
>
> Yes, the WebDAV access method can do that (using the authz_svn_module).

On a second thought, this pulls in a bunch of new possibilities: We
could maintain core applications, 3rd party applictions and all the
goodies in one single repository; giving full access to core devs,
limited access to the goodies maintainers and write access to the po
dirs to translators. This would allow translators to easily translate
all of Xfce core, all goodies and the other applications, which would be
another step forward to a fully localized desktop (e.g. Xfmedia is
nearly untranslated currently, only de and fr translations, and so are
many of the goodies).

(Tho, there's the question, how to layout the modules in the repository.
With CVS, it would be pretty simple: Just have one toplevel module per
application. With SVN, this would become cumbersome with several
different locations for tags and branches.)

Benedikt