What are the objectives for Xfce 4.4?

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Sat Feb 12 10:19:22 CET 2005

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> Maarten Boekhold wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> One of the design goals I would like to see is a rework of the various
>> plugin interfaces. At the moment, the plugin interfaces do not work
>> correctly/completely on Cygwin, and due to Windows limitations they
>> cannot be made to work if we stick to the current design.
>

> [snip]
>
>> As a very quick background: on windows you cannot have a plugin
>> reference a *variable* which is defined in the application that loads
>> the module (but it can reference a function).
>

> So why not simply change the interfaces to not export any variables, and
> just do everything through setter and getter functions?  Having globally
> exported variables sounds like a pretty bad practice, IMHO.

Yeah, for the panel I want the plugin to be a GtkContainer with some
special properties, accessible through getter/setter methods. Instead of
the vtable of functions there will be signals the plugin writers can
connect callbacks to. I'll provide a library for plugin writers which
will contain the only exported symbols. No more messing with panel
internals.

	Jasper