MIME definition in xffm

edscott wilson garcia edscott at xfce.org
Thu Feb 10 17:08:31 CET 2005

Hi Olivier,

El jue, 10-02-2005 a las 13:20 +0100, Olivier FOURDAN escribió:
> Hi Edscott,
>
> I've been asked how to pre-define xffm MIME types and default handlers in xffm for someone who is preparing a live distro.
>
> I was not able to answer this, can you help?

Sure, nothing can be easier. Within libxfcegui4 module there is a file
called xfce4-modules/mime/applications.xml which has to be edited. You
may have multiple default handlers for a single mimetype, like:

  <mime-key key="doc" type="application/msword">
    <application command="swriter %s"/>
    <application command="oowriter %s"/>
    <application command="abiword %s"/>
    <application command="Abiword %s"/>
    <application command="AbiWord %s"/>
    <application command="AbiWord-2.0 %s"/>
  </mime-key>

Programs listed but not found on local system have no effect. If several
choices are possible, they will appear in the context-sensitive popup
menu. The default chosen with double-click will be the last valid
command defined in the file. This enables the user to override the
default with $HOME/.cache/xfce4/xfce4-modules/applications.xml
(generated by "open-with" and "remember" toggle) since this is read
after the global file.

HTH,

Edscott