GTK+ target version [WAS Re: new dev branch stuff]

Don Christensen djc at cisco.com
Sat Feb 5 01:37:06 CET 2005

Olivier Fourdan wrote:
> Hi all
>
> On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 10:02 +0100, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
>
>>>1) what's our new gtk target for xfce 4.4?  gtk 2.4?
>>
>>If we plan for august, which was mentioned on IRC, then maybe we could aim for
>>2.6 even?
>

> I think targeting GTK+-2.6 is a bad idea.
>
> Not because I don't like GTK+-2.6, not even because I don't like the
> features added in 2.6, but simply because of the target audience of
> Xfce.

I know this may be a little late, and probably already covered, but we have
an internal Linux "distro" based on RHEL3 that integrates quite nicely with
the rest of our network.  I could run my own distro, and in fact do on my
laptop--Fedora Core 3 currently--but I have a different set of requirements
and restrictions for that machine.

Anyway, until RH updates RHEL to include something more recent than gtk 2.2.x
and we have adopted it internally (a few month delay, typically), I am more
or less stuck with gtk 2.2.x.  I really hope that I can be at 2.4 by the
time Xfce 4.4 is released, but there are no guarantees.  Even so, my personal
opinion is that requiring gtk 2.6 or higher would be a mistake that could
prevent a sizeable percentage of users from going with Xfce 4.4.  Staying
with gtk 2.2 would include the most users, but I can understand how that
could overly complicate things, and how it might annoy developers (who are,
after all, donating their time to this most excellent project).

Not that I'm going to change any minds, but there are my two cents.

-Don

--
Don Christensen       Senior Software Development Engineer
djc at cisco.com         Cisco Systems, Santa Cruz, CA