What are the objectives for Xfce 4.4?

Maarten Boekhold boekhold at emirates.net.ae
Fri Feb 4 11:59:12 CET 2005

Hi All,

One of the design goals I would like to see is a rework of the various
plugin interfaces. At the moment, the plugin interfaces do not work
correctly/completely on Cygwin, and due to Windows limitations they
cannot be made to work if we stick to the current design.

Some time ago I had a brief discussion with Jasper, and the idea came up
to populate a v-table in the application. This v-table would contain
pointers to all functions & variables inside the application that can be
called/used by the plugin. The v-table is passed to the module when the
module is loaded. Xffm uses something like this already (xfce4_combo,
xfce4_mime_icons etc.), although it does this the other way around (eg
it creates a v-table of functions in the plugin that xffm can call).

I'll have to see how much time I can allocate to help out on this. If we
can come up with a nice project plan for this, the next release date
isn't too aggressive and we accept a temporary breakage of Xfce (we'll
need to break the existing plugin interfaces for a while until
everything has settled down), I might even be able to work on this...

As a very quick background: on windows you cannot have a plugin
reference a *variable* which is defined in the application that loads
the module (but it can reference a function).

Maarten