What are the objectives for Xfce 4.4?

Biju Chacko botsie at xfce.org
Wed Feb 2 06:10:48 CET 2005

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> Biju Chacko wrote:
>> * We need to get rid of the concept that one module == one package.
>> The current plethora of packages is a pain and detracts from our image
>> of being lightweight. Ideally, we ought to have just xfce-core,
>> xfce-applications and xfce-devel. If we do this correctly, it should
>> still be possible for people who only want a single module (most
>> probably xfwm4) to get only it.
>

> I'm not seeing how this would work.  The first part seems to me to be
> directly contradictory with the second.  If we have an xfce-core
> package, how do you just install xfwm4 out of it?  Think of the
> children!  Er... packagers.  I don't want to say "everyone else does it
> the single package way, so we should too", but... well, yeah.  It's done
> this way for a reason, and unless it's demonstrably better to do it
> another way (I'm not convinced it is), then it should stay the same.

I was thinking that it should still be possible to checkout xfce4/xfwm4
and get a buildable module, nothing more than that.

[..]

>> * Move xfcalendar, xfterminal, xfmedia, mousepad into a separate
>> project called 'xfce applications'. Add all new utilities to this
>> project. Core probably already has all the modules that need to be there.
>

> Nuh-uh.  I like maintaining Xfmedia on my own website, and that's where
> it's gonna stay.

Thats fine. The point is that there should be a clear focus on what the
xfce project does, ie the desktop and only the desktop. Applications
should be elsewhere, either in personal cvses like xfmedia or in a
common repository for stuff that may be worked on by multiple people.

-- b