What are the objectives for Xfce 4.4?

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Tue Feb 1 22:58:36 CET 2005

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:

> I'm not at all convinced that there's no advantage, and I still see
> several flexibility-related drawbacks to your approach.  And if
> xfdesktop is going to be relegated to a non-default app that most people
> probably won't notice, it's going to be less likely that anyone's going
> to want to hack on it (myself included).  I'm not trying to sound like
> I'll drop work on it if I don't get my way, but I'm just saying that it
> doesn't seem too fun to me to hack on an app that most people probably
> aren't going to use.  Now, if this is the direction we're going to take
> for 4.4, I'd like to know ASAP so I can decide how much time I want to
> put into xfdesktop.  Xfmedia still needs a lot of work, and I'd rather
> not spend my time elsewhere if it's not really worth it.

Right, I think I agree most with Brian's point of view here, but let's
not rush a decission.

There are a lot of issues involved in this file management / desktop
icons / app launching interaction stuff and it is good to take some time
to come up with the best design.

Let's allow some more discussion about pros and cons, possible
implementations, etc... FOSDEM will be a very good platform to have some
more discussion on this, IMHO, even though not everyone involved will be
there.

Obviously, we don't want a second-rate xfdesktop next to a new shiny
desktop manager with icons. Oh, and Brian, don't believe for a second
you can get rid of your core developer status so easily and go play with
your own project ;-)

	Jasper