glib/gtk minimum required versions

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Sat Dec 17 14:16:51 CET 2005

Hi Jani,

Jani Monoses wrote:
> Is the version requirement on glib/gtk planned to be tightened for 4.4?

The minimum version for Xfce 4.4 will be gtk+-2.6 and glib 2.6.

I think gtk+ is being develop mainly for GNOME now. GNOME can easily
target one version of gtk+.

Xfce has a different release rate, definitely slower, therefore we can't
target a single version of gtk+, we need to target at least two versions
(otherwise by the time we get our software ready, the version of gtk+ we
targeted initially would be replaced by a new one).

To me, gtk+ developers have a tendency of deprecating things a bit
quickly. I don't think it would be a good thing for us to #ifdef
different code paths based of gtk+ deprecation strategy because that
would make our code complex and hard to debug, not to say hard to read
and follow.

The -Werror used in the current development branch is just for
development, it's not meant for released software. It helps developers
finding bugs and improving the code before it gets relased.

Cheers,
Olivier.