4.4 ETA?

Jani Monoses jani.monoses at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 10:38:34 CET 2005

> 1.  I'd feel a bit uncomfortable with someone distributing a non-release
> version, unless they'd done a significant amount of stabilisation work

We'll definitely not use a non-release version, although from what I
gather xfce components are so independent that being release quality is
a state some parts will reach earlier than others. Picking (just as an
example) xfdesktop from 4.3 keeping the rest the same would not
technically mean 'using an unreleased version of xfce'. I know mix and
match can be dangerous as it makes the components interact in way are
less frequently tested so I'll try being careful. Especially with the
transaltions argument thrown in it looks like 4.2 would be a lot less
risky to consider.

> 2.  If you're going to call it an Xfce-based distro, it would be nice to
> use all "official" Xfce components, or at least make the defaults all
> official, and offer easy choices later on.  If not, you should probably
> call it something else.  If you want to supplement the base Xfce with

it is xfce 'based' so it is clear that it has other components in it. As
for using all official components you said in an earlier email there may
 not be  officially blessed versions for some apps (i.e. Terminal vs
xfce4-terminal)

We'll try to pick the best apps for everything and one of the reasons
for me lurking on this list is to get help from you in deciding what
'best' is.

thanks
Jani