deprecated stuff

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Tue Aug 30 21:41:47 CEST 2005

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> I'm planning on deprecating XfceIconTheme as well, in favor of
> GtkIconTheme.  After that, I'm going to update and extend the
> xfce_themed_icon_*() wrappers in libxfcegui4/icons.[ch] to provide some
> more functionality and fix some of GtkIconTheme's shortcomings.  Please
> don't use GtkIconTheme directly; I'd like the icon theming to be
> consistent across applications.

The most important problem with GtkIconTheme was that it did not care
for the XDG_DATA_DIRS settings, but had the Gtk+ datadir hardcoded and
so did not found icon themes in locations outside the Gtk+ datadir.
Fortunately this is fixed now.

The next problem was the slow startup speed and the slow icon lookup
(that problem is also present in XfceIconTheme). This was fixed with the
introduction of the icon theme cache.

Maybe you can explain what kind of shortcomings you are talking about?

> 	-brian

Benedikt